When two people decide to legally dissolve their marriage, the divorce proceedings can be painful and emotionally traumatic. This can be made even more difficult when there are children involved. Indeed, children and teenagers in this situation will often feel a wide range of emotions, including anger, resentment, guilt, and sadness. They may even withdraw completely or go into a state of shock and depression. For everyone involved, it can be a troubling experience and it seems at these times that there is no light at the end of the long, dark tunnel.
How Can a Lawyer Help You?
The good news is that whether you are considering divorce or you are in the middle of it, divorce solicitors in London can help to make the process smoother. Here’s how they can help:
- Advice: Even if you are only considering filing for a divorce from your long-term spouse, a divorce lawyer can provide excellent advice. You may need to understand whether you have reasonable grounds for divorce. The lawyer may even be able to offer you other options, such as a legal separation without the finality of divorce so that you can get your head together. In other cases, it may not even be possible to locate the partner because he or she has disappeared overseas. Divorce is not always easy and it can often be quite complex. In these cases, an experienced legal mind can provide excellent help.
- Children: When children are involved in a divorce, there is rarely an easy way to handle it. A divorce solicitor can handle child custody arrangements, visitation rights, support payments, and guardianship cases where one or both parents are not capable of looking after the children. In all such delicate matters, the legal professional will prioritise what is best materially, emotionally, and psychologically for the children involved.
- Assets and Finances: A huge part of divorce is handling the separation of assets and finances according to law. Debts, bank accounts, real estate, and other assets all need to be valued by the solicitor. In such cases, it is common for one or both parties to become disgruntled about the arrangements, and it is therefore prudent for one or both parties to seek expert legal advice and representation.
- Abuse: Unfortunately, domestic abuse, including harassment and stalking, is not uncommon in our communities. Where a partner is involved in an abusive marriage, it is wise to seek professional legal counsel on divorce options and protections thereafter, including possible restraining orders and relocation.
- Pre-Nuptial Agreements: These are becoming more common in our communities, especially when there is significant assets being held by one or both parties. Sometimes it is wiser to go into a marriage with eyes wide open.
Always Seek Legal Help from the Best
During such a difficult time for families and individuals, an experienced family lawyer can provide sage advice based on both law and their experience. Many divorces are bitter affairs that become truly traumatic for the people and children involved. A divorce lawyer can help to make a difficult process smoother.